Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Little One's New Love- Ang Ku Kueh

Different kuehs
Traditionally, Ang Ku Kueh (Hokkien for Red Tortoise cake) are red in colour, filled with cooked mung beans or grounded peanuts and sugar.The soft sticky skin is made from glutinous rice flour and sweet potatoes. Now there are a lot more varieties. Ang Ku Kueh are presented on  square pieces of banana leaf.

From the above picture, the red ones contain the fillings of traditional grounded peanuts or mung beans.  The purple and black are variations, containing yam and mung beans with salt respectively. The white kueh is not a ku kueh but it is one of my favorite with grated coconut fillings. I have bought this as a package from Seng Siong due to sudden craving for Ang Ku Kueh. I personally likes variety and hence chosen the pack of assorted flavours. I offered Little One the kueh to try a small bite, I was not a fan when I was young because it was sticky and oily! So, when she said she likes it and ate one whole kueh, it surprised me!

The Origin
Ang Ku Kueh are shaped like tortoise shells because the Chinese traditionally believed that eating tortoises would bring longevity to those who are eating it. Also, they bring about good fortune and prosperity. Each Ang Ku Kueh are made from mould with the Chinese Word 寿 which means longevity. 

When is it available?
Ang Ku Kuehs are traditionally prepared to celebrate auspicious Chinese festivals (see Wikipedia) , birthdays and baby showers. Now it is available all year round in some supermarket (eg, Seng Siong), some pastry shops and bakery such as Bangawan Solo. I do see some food centres which sells them and also some shopping centres in Orchard. Don't buy a lot unless you intend to share. Food made from glutinous rice are very starchy and filling. There is some popular stalls which sells this kueh, I have yet to try. Ji Xiang Confectionery at Everton Park. Poh Cheu at Bukit Merah Lane 1. Kuehs and Snacks at Bukit Merah Lane 1 too. If you do, please let me know your review.


Linking with :-


The Jenny Evolutionimage-in-ingnew button

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post - I've never seen these. There's an Asian market not far from our home - I may need to see if they sell these & give them a try!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/at-keyboard.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find freshly made ones will be best!

      Delete
  2. Whoo I have never seen these before, they look fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...